Colder weather means my kids love a warm lunch and who can blame them. When the ice is still melting when they sit down to eat then a warm healthy lunch is perfect. My slow cooker sadly stopped working earlier this year so I took advantage of the situation and upgraded to an all in one cooker. I have never used a pressure cooker but I am quickly becoming a convert for things like this. I popped this all in the cooker while I boiled the kettle and by the time we finished breakfast the kids and I had a delicious, healthy lunch ready for our thermos. This recipe can also be cooked in the oven but will take a little longer. I’ve included both methods so you can choose what suits.
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 litre Chicken stock
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 & 1/2 cups of roasted veggies – used leftover pumpkin, sweet potato and carrot
- salt and pepper
- parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a 5-litre ovenproof dish with a lid over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until it is soft. Add roasted vegetables and stir.
- Add the rice and stir so that it is coated with butter. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil. Cover and place in the oven and cook for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and stir through the parmesan cheese. Season with freshly ground pepper to taste.
Pressure Cooker Method:
- Add all the ingredients to the pot.
- Set to cook for 14 minutes in the pressure cooker.
- Vent steam as needed
- Season, add cheese and stir. Enjoy!