I love fresh lemons and this recipe makes the most of their taste and smell. I was recently given a bag of lemons from a friend so was quick to grab this recipe and start baking. Miss 8 loved it as a treat in her lunchbox during the week and the leftovers were quickly frozen for treats throughout the term. This recipe is a great one to bake and freeze so you’ve always got something up your sleeve for a playdate or afternoon tea with friends. It’s a Susan Austin recipe from her Frost Bite: Everyday food fresh from the freezer. Grab those aprons and the kids and get baking this weekend.
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 225g (13/4 cups) plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 100g shredded coconut
- 155g (3/4 cups) caster sugar
- zest of 2 lemons, finely grated
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 125g butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons (40ml) lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line a 13 x 23cm loaf pan.
- Mix sour cream and bicarb soda in a medium bowl and set aside for 5 minutes. Mix flour, baking powder, coconut, sugar and zest in a large bowl. Add eggs, butter and lemon juice to the sour cream and stir to combine.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and mix to combine. If the mix seems too dry you can add a tablespoon of milk. Pour into the loaf pan and bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out cleanly.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.