An easy, chocolate coconut slice that uses things in the pantry means it’s a winner in my house. Perfect for the cake stalls and afternoon teas that are needed at both school and work. This one has been around for years, it’s nothing new but it has fast become a classic in its own right. Give it a go with the kids and you’ll be sure to impress.
- 3 weetbix biscuits crushed
- 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa, 2 for the base and one for the icing
- 150g butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 & 1/2 cups icing sugar mixture
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- Freckles or 100’s & 1000’s to decorate
- Preheat oven to 180C. Lightly grease a 16x26cm baking pan and line with baking paper.
- Break up biscuits and place into a medium mixing bowl with coconut and sugar.
- Sift flour and 2 tablespoons cocoa over the bowl and mix to combine.
- Melt butter and pour over the dry ingredients. Add vanilla and mix well.
- Spoon mixture into a prepared pan and press down to level. Bake for 15 minutes or until cooked.
- Sift icing sugar and cocoa into a small bowl. Add water and stir well. Ice slice and decorate with freckles or leave plain and cut into squares to serve.
- Happy Baking!