We’re celebrating Australia Day with a BBQ and friends on Friday and apart from lamb on the bbq we were after an Aussie dessert. Australia Day trifle came to mind and has been tried and tested by the family so we’re set for some fun. If you’re celebrating with friends this weekend or just enjoy a trifle then give this quick and easy dessert a go.
- 1/2 slab store purchased unfilled sponge cake
- Sweet sherry
- Red jelly crystals
- Blue jelly crystals
- 500mls custard
- 500mls thickened cream
- 1 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essences
- Make the red jelly according to the instructions on the packet. Pour the jelly mixture into a medium round glass bowl. Add some chopped strawberries to the jelly. Cover with cling film and place in the fridge for 4 hours to set.
- Make the blue jelly according to the instructions on the packet and pour into a container to set in the fridge.
- Cut the slab sponge up into 3cm cubes and place into a shallow container. Pour over 1/4 – 1/4 cup of sweet sherry so that there is enough for the cake to soak up. Place cake into the fridge.
- Once the jelly is set, remove from the fridge and get ready to assemble.
- Place the cake on top of the red jelly and pour custard over the top.
- Cut the blue jelly up and cover the custard layer with the blue jelly.
- Pour the thickened cream, sugar and vanilla into a medium bowl and mix until the cream is whipped, making soft peaks.
- Cover the blue jelly with the thickened cream and decorate with strawberries and blueberries. Cover with cling film and leave in the fridge until you’re ready to serve it.
Happy Australia Day!