Mixed berries are always popular in our house and are devoured whether they’re fresh or frozen. These delicious muffins are happy with either fresh or frozen berries which makes them an all year round lunch box treat in our house. I love baking and freezing our treats so that I know I have a ready supply for the impromptu after-school catch-up or crazy day lunchbox. If you have a berry fan, give these a try.
- 250g mixed berries washed and hulled, I used half strawberries and half blueberries
- 2& 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup extra-light olive oil
- 1 & 3/4 cup strawberry yoghurt
- Preheat oven to 190C. Line a 12 hole muffin pan with paper cases.
- Chop half the strawberries and cut the remaining halves into wedges. Leave the blueberries whole unless they are really big.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, and brown sugar in a bowl. Add egg, oil, yoghurt and chopped strawberries & blueberries. Stir until just combined.
- Spoon mixture into cases and press strawberry wedges into the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until browned and firm to touch. Stand in the pan for 5 minutes then transfer onto a rack to cool.