I am forever on the hunt for quick and easy, nutritious and delicious family dinners. This chicken and cashew tray bake ticked all the boxes for me and was a winner after rugby training. I cooked rice in the rice cooker and had all the vegetables and chicken prepped before we left. If you’re after an easy weeknight dinner, then give this a try.
- 6 tablespoons salt reduced soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- ¾ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- ½ cup water plus more as needed to thin out the sauce
Chicken and vegetables
- 2 medium skinless boneless chicken thighs or breasts cut into small cubes
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 of bunches of broccolini, cut the stalks up as well or 1 ½ cups broccoli florets about 1 head
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 2/3 cup roasted unsalted cashews
For the sauce:
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together soy sauce, hoisin sauce, vinegar, honey, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, cornflour and water until combined.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens and bubbles. Remove from heat and set aside.
For the chicken and vegetables:
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a large sheet pan with baking paper or foil, spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- Season chicken with salt and black pepper then drizzle spoonfuls of sauce over the chicken coating well on both sides. Reserve at least half of the sauce for later.
- Cook in preheated oven for 8 minutes then remove the pan.
- Arrange the broccoli florets, capsicum and cashews in a single layer around the chicken. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper and drizzle spoonfuls of the sauce and toss everything to coat.
- Return to the oven and cook for another 8-12 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.
- Remove pan from oven and drizzle with remaining sauce. Serve over rice or quinoa and garnish with shallots and sesame seeds, if you like.