Pears are just delicious at the moment and this is a satisfying comforting dessert just perfect for winter. Take some time out and have some fun in the kitchen this weekend and wow your family with this crowd pleaser.
- 4 pears, halved lengthways
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthways
- 4 egg yolks
- 55g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place the pears in an ovenproof dish. Combine the maple syrup and water in a jug and pour over the pears. Bake in oven, turning once, for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, place milk in a saucepan. Use a small sharp knife to scrape seeds from the vanilla bean into the milk. Add vanilla bean to pan. Bring just to the boil over medium heat. Strain through a fine sieve into a heatproof jug. Discard bean.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until thick and pale. Gradually whisk the milk into the egg mixture. Return to pan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes or until custard thickens and coats the back of spoon. Strain through a fine sieve into a heatproof serving jug.
- Divide the pears among serving bowls and drizzle over a little custard. Serve immediately with the remaining custard.